With more time on my hands because of the lockdown and the winter nights drawing in, my slow cooker has been getting a lot of use. I received my slow cooker years ago as a wedding gift, it sat in a box for about 5 years before one day I decided to give it a go, and it has barely been back in the box since! A slow cooker is a great kitchen addition to help make tasty and easy dishes more easy and hassle free to whip up!
This recipe is a bit of a hearty stew, and in it I use my Soffrito recipe which I make in bulk and freeze for use whenever I need it.
Braised Beef in Red Wine
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 portion of Soffritto
1 Kg Braising Beef, cubed
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
250ml Beef Broth
2 Bay Leaves
4 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
35g Plain Flour
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Bottle of Dry Red Wine
Salt and Pepper
- In a bowl place the cubed braising beef and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Using a heavy based pot or casserole dish, heat 1 tbsp of oil over a medium-high heat. Sear the cubes of beef on each side until brown, this will need to be done in batches.
- Once all cooked, place the browned beef into the slow cooker.
- Add the beef broth, thyme and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Re-using the browning pot, add the soffritto, a pinch of salt and stir through.
- Add the flour, tomato paste and cook for a few minutes longer until the colour has darkened.
- Pour over the bottle of red wine and stir to combine scraping any of the fond from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes or until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Pour the liquid and soffritto mixture into the slow cooker over the meat, stir and the cover and cook on a low setting until the meat is tender and breaks up when pressed. This can take around 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaves and thyme before serving.
I served mine on top of some creamy mashed potatoes and poured over some of the remaining sauce. This is worth making a batch of and freezing, it defrosts and re-heats well and it means it can be enjoyed more than once in these winter evenings!