Soffritto, the Holy Trinity in Italian cooking. All good Italian dishes start with a base of Carrots, Onion and Celery, otherwise known as Soffritto. This gives the dishes an aromatic base on which to build on. This simple Soffritto recipe is great for making in bulk and freezing until needed and can be used to make a variety of dishes, primarily Bolognese.
Ingredients (Makes approx 250g)
100ml extra virgin olive oil
3 Carrots, finely chopped
2 Onions, finely chopped
3 Celery sticks, finely chopped
25g unsalted butter, room temperature
salt and black pepper
- Chop the carrots, onions and celery finely, or as I did, blitz them in a food processor for a few seconds until chopped.
- In a heavy bottomed pot heat the olive oil over a low heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan, cover and cook until they are sweating and the onion is translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with the butter and allow to melt into the mixture.
- Mix the melted butter in, leave to cool and then place into a container to freeze, or go straight ahead and use.
You can double, triple up this recipe depending on how many onions, carrots or pieces of celery you have! This freezes and defrosts well, a handy addition to the freezer and takes out a bit of time when you are wanting to cook.