Back in May we visited Orkney, and more importantly the Orkney Brewery where we picked up a jar of Dark Island Chutney, made with Orkney Brewery’s Dark Island Ale. Needless to say it was tasty and disappeared fast! Luckily the quantities of each ingredient were attached to the jar, so I attempted to recreate it at home!
The recipe below makes 2 jam jars of chutney and is scaled up (and slightly adapted!) from the original.
550g Onions (finely chopped)
50g Red Wine Vinegar
70g Dark Island Ale
50g Sultanas and Chopped Figs
Chilli, Pepper and Salt
- Peel and chop the onions
- Fry the onions in a pan with some olive oil until soft and golden (around 20 mins)
- Then add Chilli, Salt and Pepper followed by the fruit, sugar, vinegar and half the ale.
- Simmer until thick and Chutney like in consistency
- Then add the remaining ale and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, seal the jars and leave to cool before storing
Serve with a cheese board and crackers!