I am not sure when I first discovered polenta chips, but I’m glad I did. They are a tasty alternative to ordinary potato chips, and the bonus is there is an easy way to make them and a slightly less easy way! Both recipes serve 4.
Easy Polenta Chips
1 Block of Ready-made Polenta
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Seasonings (i.e herbs/spices)
Pre-Heat the oven to 200 C and set inside a roasting tray with the olive oil in it.
While the oil is heating, chop the polenta into chip sized pieces
Once the oil is smoking hot add in the polenta chips and the seasonings and toss about to make sure they are all covered
Put back into the oven and cook for around 40mins or until golden (shaking and turning them after about 20mins)
Now for the slightly less easy version, which is one I use as you can flavour it as you like!
Slightly Less Easy Polenta Chips
175g Dried Polenta
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Seasonings / Other additions
- Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan
- Once boiling ‘shake’ in the dried polenta, stirring as you do to avoid it going all lumpy
- The Polenta should become quite thick reasonably quickly, so once this happens turn the heat down and simmer it for around 3 to 4 minutes
- Then take the polenta off the heat and add in your seasonings / other additions
- If using onions, bacon or something along those lines, these will need to be cooked beforehand (and chopped finely!)
- Once all mixed together put the mixture onto a small dish or plate and spread out to about 1 cm thick
- Leave to cool, this may take a couple of hours.
- Once cool, pre-heat the oven to 200 C and set a roasting tray inside with the olive oil
- Tip out the polenta onto a board and chop into chips
- Once the olive oil is smoking hot, add in the polenta chips and toss about to ensure all are covered
- Put the tray back in the oven and cook for around 40 mins or until golden (turn them after about 20 mins)
Eat these on their own dipped in Tomato Sauce or serve up with a tasty steak – just like I did!