”Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.”
― Robert Burns
Its Burns Night here in Scotland, where we celebrate the poetry of Rabbie Burns with some Haggis, Neeps and Tatties, all washed down with a wee dram of Whisky (or you could just ignore the poetry and get stuck into the whisky!)
This year instead of just loading up the plate with a big slab of haggis, my brother-in-law kindly took charge and did something slightly different. He made filo wrapped haggis, which was really tasty. In this case it was veggie haggis as I don’t eat the real thing!
Filo Wrapped Haggis
1 packet of Filo Pastry
- Remove Haggis from packet, and mould into a ‘log shape’
- Lay out layers of filo pastry and spread the redcurrant sauce over it
- Wrap the log of haggis up in the filo pastry, like a present
- Brush with a beaten egg
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins at about 180 degrees.
- Serve with neeps and tatties!
All washed down with a wee dram!