Whilst this period of lockdowns seems never ending, it’s hard to believe a year has gone by and it’s Easter again!
At least this year, depending where you are in the country, we are allowed a bit more freedom, even if it is just meeting up with family and friends who we haven’t seen in a while, outside obviously!
For Easter Sunday this year it’s just the two of us, but that doesn’t stop us indulging in an Easter Sunday feast. It’s only right that dessert is chocolate, just to add to the amount already consumed.
I am planning to make this simple Chocolate Easter Egg Meringue, a light chocolate meringue base filled with whipped cream and fromage frais, topped with any Easter treats you can find!
The fromage frais and cream make a lighter, fresher topping but there is nothing stopping you going full cream. This dessert is a winner with adults and children and a bit of a showstopper at the table.
Chocolate Easter Egg Meringue (serves 8)
For the Meringue
6 Egg Whites
180g Golden Caster Sugar
165g Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Cocoa
For the Topping
300ml Double Cream
200g Fromage Frais
1 tbsp Icing Sugar
A Variety of Easter Toppings
1 bar of Milk Chocolate
- Firstly preheat the oven to 140C/Fan 120C/gas 1
- On a piece of parchment paper, draw a circle approximately 20cm diameter (or use a dinner plate!). Turn the paper over so the outline won’t be near the food.
- Next, beat together the egg whites, caster sugar and a pinch of salt in a clean, dry mixing bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Then add the icing sugar and gently whisk until incorporated. Increase the speed and whisk until thick, stiff and glossy.
- Add the cocoa and whisk briefly to mix.
- Spoon the meringue onto the paper following the circle outline, ensure that the sides are higher with a hollow in the middle which will be for the topping.
- Bake for about 1 hr 30 mins, or until slightly cracked in places and firm to the touch.
- Turn the oven off, leave the door slightly open and leave the meringue inside to cool.
- To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler, scrape the chocolate from the flat, long side of the chocolate bar to make long curls. Set aside until needed.
- In a bowl, lightly whip the cream and fromage frais with the icing sugar to soft peaks.
- Spoon into the centre of the cooled meringue and top with all the Easter sweeties you can find and the chocolate curls. I just used mini eggs, but use whatever you fancy!