Having gone a bit crazy at a Pick your Own Farm, I now have a freezer full of fruit waiting to be turned into tasty jams or crumbles. I decided to make a Gooseberry and Elderflower Jam with the mountain of delicious gooseberries I picked. The jam is relatively straight forward to make, I have noted the amount of fruit I used here, but remember the weight of fruit and Sugar must be the same
Gooseberry & Elderflower Jam (Makes 3 Jars)
4 tbsp. Elderflower Cordial
- Put a saucer in the freezer (this will be used to test if the jam is set or not)
- Wash the gooseberries and top and tail them, put them in a saucepan and cover them with 150ml water
- Simmer the fruit until it is soft – which took for me around 10 minutes
- Next add the sugar and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved, again this was about 10 minutes for me
- Then turn up the heat and let the jam boil for about another 10 minutes
- At this point remove from the heat, take the saucer out of the freezer and drop a little of the jam onto it. Leave for a few seconds and then push the jam with your finger – if it wrinkles its set, if it doesn’t then boil again for another 5 minutes and repeat the test.
- Once the jam is set stir in the Elderflower Cordial
- At this point it can be poured into sterilised jars, topped with a wax disc and tightly sealed until ready to enjoy!