Mary Berry really is the go to baker when you just want cake and you want it to be easy to make, and that’s exactly what this tangy tasty lemon cake is. This is taken from Mary’s Baking Bible, the sacred book of cakes! However, I did a different topping as I fancied a thicker layer of lemony icing! I have added both toppings so its up to you which one you choose, or make one of each!
Mary Berry’s Lemon Drizzle Cake
175g Caster Sugar
175g Self-Raising Flour
175g Butter, softened
Zest of 1 Lemon
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
100g Granulated Sugar
Juice from 1 Lemon
4tbsp Icing Sugar
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC Fan/Gas 4.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into a prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 40 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- What Mary does – while the cake is still warm, make the lemon drizzle topping by mixing together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake. Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin.
- What My did – remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack. Mix together the Icing Sugar and Lemon Juice (quantities may vary depending on how juicy the lemon is!) to make a thick icing. Pour over the cooled cake and sprinkle the zest of a lemon on top. Let the icing hardened, slice and enjoy with your afternoon cuppa!