Tonight is planning night. In just over 6 weeks we head eastwards to Japan, and all we have organised at the moment are our flights. So we have dedicated tonight to planning our adventure. To get us in the planning mood, I decided to cook something Japanese, so I reached for the Wagamama Ways with Noodles Cookbook (OK so not the most traditional Japanese cookbook – but its an introduction!!!) and settled on the easy (feeling lazy) Stir-fried Beef with Broccoli and Noodles and some non-Japanese prawn crackers.
Stir Fry Beef
Ingredients (serves 2)
150g Medium Egg Noodles
100g Broccoli, broken into small florets
2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
150g Beef Sirloin, thinly sliced into bite sized pieces
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and mashed
3cm piece of Ginger root, peeled and grated
1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet, drain and refresh under cold water
- Blanch the broccoli for 2-3 minutes in boiling salted water, drain and refresh under cold water
- Heat the oil in a hot wok over a medium heat and stir fry the beef, garlic and ginger for 3-4m minutes or until the beef is almost cooked.
- Add the noodles, broccoli, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Toss so that everything is well combined and heated through
All washed down with a little bottle of Asahi Japanese Beer, and maybe we will watch Lost in Translation… for research of course!
Now, only 6 weeks to get over my fear of Sushi and Tofu!