After a long absence and at Stuart’s request, Mac ‘n’ Cheese has made a reappearance on our menu. Todays weather hasn’t helped in the decision to go down the comfort food route. Earlier this week with the sunnier days I was thinking we were getting into salad season, but alas no.
My go-to Mac ‘n’ Cheese recipe is now in fact one that Jamie Oliver did in his Jamie’s America book. The recipe states its for 8-10 people, I am not sure where he got that from, unless he tested it out on 8-10 hungry cowboys. Its more like 10-12 people. So I made half that amount, since it is the 2 of us and you can only freeze so much.
Jamie’s Killer Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Ingredients (Serves 8-10 -apparently)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 heaped tbsp. plain flour
10 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
6 fresh bay leaves
1 litre semi-skimmed milk
600g dried macaroni
150g Grated Cheddar Cheese
100g Grated Parmesan Cheese
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
couple of splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
Grating of Nutmeg
3 big handfuls of breadcrumbs
1. Get a large pan of water and bring to the boil
2. In another pan melt the butter on a low heat, then add the flour and turn the heat up to medium, stirring all the time, until you get a paste (a roux)
3. Add the garlic, keep cooking and stirring until golden and the garlic is sticky.
4. Add the bay leaves and slowly whisk in the milk a little at a time until you get a nice smooth sauce
5. Bring the mixture to the boil, then leave it on a low heat to simmer, stirring occasionally.
6. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7
7. Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
8. Roughly chop the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
9. Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce
10. Give it a good stir and remove from the heat
11. Stir in the cheeses, tomatoes and thyme
12. Add a little Worcestershire sauce and grated nutmeg if wanted
13. Bake in the oven for 30 mins until golden and bubbling
14. While its cooking put breadcrumbs, thyme and olive oil in a frying pan, and fry until golden and crunchy
15. Serve the macaroni cheese sprinkled with the breadcrumbs.